Questions to Ask A Remodeling Contractor…Before You Hire Him or Her
When you’re thinking about hiring someone to remodel your kitchen, bathroom or any part of your home there are some very important questions you can ask your contractor. You know not everyone is going to be 100% honest with you so after you get your questions answered you can check some of the answers, the Internet is your friend.
Here are the questions most people ask:
- When can you start?
- When will you be finished?
- What time will you knock on my door each morning?
- What time will you quit for the day?
- Are you going to work every day?
- Can you finish before (insert any major holiday or significant family event?
The only problem with the list is it doesn’t tell you about the remodeling contractor you might be hiring.
Remodeling contractors do NOT have to be a General Contractor, licensed with their state. It can be someone with out any license like a handyman or maybe even someone with a specific license like a Drywall Contractor.
Just being a General Contractor is no guarantee that this person will do a good job and is a skilled, trusted and competent contractor, BUT it is a start.
Here are the most important questions you can ask:
- How long have you been in business?
- Who will be assigned as project supervisor for the job?
- Who will be working on the project? Are they employees or subcontractors?
- Does your company carry workers compensation and liability insurance? (Always verify this information by calling the agency. A copy of an insurance certificate does not let you know if the policy is still current. Even if the certificate has an expiration date, you cannot tell if the insurance has been canceled by either party. If licensing is required in your state also ask if the contractor is licensed and call to verify compliance with the law. Not all states offer or require licensing. Check with your local or state government agencies.)
- What is your approach to a project such as this?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the past year?
- May I have a list of references from those projects?
- May I have a list of business referrals or suppliers?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
- Alan Anderson of Arlington Custom Builders Inc. can answer of all these questions and you will be happy with his answers, please call him today at: 480 998 9696.